Random header image... Refresh for more!

Eating for Two

hay for nikki

Carrying Hay for Nikki

Commissary keeper Michael Berry came by this morning and dropped off produce and hay to rhino keeper Renee Carpenter for Nikki.  The Zoo’s commissary delivers fresh produce to the rhino barn every day and hay is supplied twice a week.  Because rhinos eat a lot of hay, today we unloaded a lot of it!

Nikki eats bamboo leaves

Nikki eats bamboo leaves

Nikki has an important job to do, not only is she pregnant for 16 months, but she will give birth to a 100-lb baby!  Our Curator of Nutrition, Barbara Henry, specially designed a balanced diet to make sure Nikki gets all the nutrients she needs during her pregnancy.  Indian rhino are herbivores or vegetarians.  In the wild, Indian rhinos eat grass, fruit, leaves, branches and aquatic plants.  They use their prehensile lip to curl around branches and bring them into their mouth.  Nikki’s daily diet consists of ¾ of a bale of timothy grass hay (34lbs), 10 lbs of specially formulated nutritionally complete herbivore pellets, 6 apples, 6 bananas and 6 carrots.  Nikki is also given special treats during training or medical procedures, like ultrasound exams.  These treats include horse apple oat biscuits, alfalfa hay and Nikki’s absolute favorite…..PEANUT BUTTER.

6 comments

1 Tiffany { 09.20.10 at 9:01 pm }

Eating for two is the best part of any pregnancy! We can’t wait to see the baby! I’m hoping its a girl!

2 hay day app cheats { 10.28.13 at 9:47 pm }

Packed with all the popular game modes offered from previous releases, 2K11 took basketball gaming to another
level. You will be spending half the time sniggering at the jokes and groaning at the puns.
Not only is Virtua Fighter one of the best fighting franchises of all-time, but it’s also treated like art’because its beautiful game mechanics
are art.

3 tuorhytherti.0fees.net { 11.28.13 at 11:54 pm }

Hey there, You have done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
I’m confident they will be benefited from this site.

4 Wilfred { 12.19.13 at 1:22 am }

I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet people, its really really
good piece of writing on building up new web
site.

5 how to make money from youtube { 12.28.13 at 3:10 pm }

Superb blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?
I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.

Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for
a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed ..
Any tips? Many thanks!

My web site; how to make money from youtube

6 spybubble discount { 04.17.14 at 6:58 pm }

Highly descriptive blog, I liked that a lot.
Will there be a part 2?