Random header image... Refresh for more!

Countdown to Canada Coming to a Close

My name is Caitlynn Turner, and you may have read about my previous adventures as a teen volunteer at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens. Now, I’m getting ready for my greatest adventure yet; a once-in-a-lifetime trip to see the polar bears.

It’s almost here, and on October 9th I will finally be leaving for Canada! I have patiently been waiting since I was chosen by the Center for Conservation and Research of Endangered Wildlife, (CREW) to represent the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden at Teen Leadership Camp. This is a week-long trip spent right along the Hudson Bay in the ‘Polar Bear Capitol of the World’ known as Churchill, Manitoba.

I can’t tell you how excited I am! This is definitely a trip that will provide memories that will last a lifetime. Not only will I get to see the magnificent polar bear in the wild, I will get to meet other teens that are just as thrilled and inspired to help the bears as I am. I have been preparing to leave for a number of month as I’ve had reading assignments to do so that I have a better understanding of polar bears in general, and climate change in the arctic. I’ve applied for and received my passport; and I have been shopping to get warm layers, a hat, gloves, and other essentials so I can handle the cold weather (it’s fall in Canada, so temperatures are a “warm” 30 degrees on average during the day). I’ve even got my Canadian currency at the ready. All that fun pre-trip stuff. Now, the trip is so close I am actually starting to pack, but it hasn’t really set in that I’m leaving so soon. To tell the truth, I don’t think it will until I get up very early Sunday morning to make my flight. Until then, I can’t wait! Check back soon, and join me in this great adventure.

9 comments

1 Mr. Cheek { 10.05.11 at 9:46 am }

We are excited for you!

2 Mrs. Franklin { 10.05.11 at 1:34 pm }

Have a GREAT TRIP!!! We are proud of you and your hard work. Be careful and God bless.

3 Chris Nobbe { 10.06.11 at 11:05 am }

I hope you have a wonderful experience. I wish you the very best. I have attached a link to your blog on Prism so that my classes may easily follow you. We look forward to reading of your experiences.

4 Caitlynn Turner { 10.07.11 at 7:27 am }

Thank you everyone!

5 AP Biology { 10.07.11 at 10:31 am }

Good luck, and don’t get eaten by a polar bear! Stay warm!

PS- Bring Mrs. Cronier back a rock.

6 Lady Knights Soccer Girls :) { 10.07.11 at 10:56 am }

We all wish you the best of times on your unbelievable trip to see the polar bears! Have fun, we know you will! :) We’ll miss you! Stay safe!
<3 your soccer girls!
O and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! …from Morgan Wolfer and Hannah Rose :)

7 Bernadette Plair { 10.07.11 at 10:59 am }

Enjoy your trip Caitlynn, your CREW supporters are as excited as you are! Tell the polar bears I’m hoping to see them too some day!

8 Nancy Tibbetts { 10.09.11 at 9:10 pm }

Hi Cait,
I have been in contact with your Mom off and on all day just to see how you are doing and when you arrive in Canada. I am so excited for you. Take alot of pictures of those beautiful bears. Love, Grandma

9 Nancy Tibbetts { 10.10.11 at 3:49 pm }

Hi Cait,
I just read you newest blog. (blog is a strange name) Iam so thankful that you didn’t have any travel hangups. Sounds like the real fun is about to begin. I pray for you each day. Love to you, Grandma